Monday, February 11, 2013

Music Monday #19: "Stay" by Rihanna featuring Mikky Ekko

I've been hearing this song on the radio, and after last night's Grammy awards, I knew I was ready to make this song a Music Monday pick. The song, "Stay", by chart topping songstress Rihanna featuring  Louisiana-born singer/songwriter/producer Mikky Ekko, speaks of unsurety in those first stages of love and would be a perfect song for Jace and Clary.
 
Take a listen to Rihanna's performance on Saturday Night Live:

 
Even the very first lyrics to the song sounds like Clary thinking about Jace:
 
All along it was a fever
A cold with high-headed believers
I threw my hands in the air I said show me something
He said, if you dare come a little closer 
Round and around and around and around we go
Ohhh now tell me now tell me now tell me now you know
 
 The chorus echoes Jace's first reactions to Clary when she comes to the Institute:

Not really sure how to feel about it
Something in the way you move
Makes me feel like I can't live without you
It takes me all the way
I want you to stay
 
The very next verses speak of Shadowhunters in general to me. They live a life that's not what most mundanes would consider healthy or good. This reminds me of how Clary reacted when hearing the news of the world which collided with her own:
It's not much of a life you're living
It's not just something you take, it's given
Round and around and around and around we go
Ohhh now tell me now tell me now tell me now you know

Not really sure how to feel about it
Something in the way you move
Makes me feel like I can't live without you
It takes me all the way
I want you to stay

Clary is missing pieces of her memory. There are pieces of her life that are gone, like a hole. She needs the Shadowhunters, those mysterious beings that just don't seem like to be real, to save her:

Ohhh the reason I hold on
Ohhh cause I need this hole gone
Funny all the broken ones but i'm the only one who needed saving
Cause when you never see the lights it's hard to know which one of us is caving

Not really sure how to feel about it
Something in the way you move
Makes me feel like I can't live without you
It takes me all the way
I want you to stay, stay
I want you to stay, oh
 
I really want your feedback on this! Can you see the resemblance to this song with the upcoming movie The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones? Share your thoughts below or on Twitter at @TMI_Institute. If you have a song you'd like us to use for Music Monday, share it with me on Twitter.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...